Dear Visitor,

Our system has found that you are using an ad-blocking browser add-on.

We just wanted to let you know that our site content is, of course, available to you absolutely free of charge.

Our ads are the only way we have to be able to bring you the latest high-quality content, which is written by professional journalists, with the help of editors, graphic designers, and our site production and I.T. staff, as well as many other talented people who work around the clock for this site.

So, we ask you to add this site to your Ad Blocker’s "white list" or to simply disable your Ad Blocker while visiting this site.

Continue on this site freely
  HOME     MENU     SEARCH     NEWSLETTER    
CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT NEWS. UPDATED 11 MINUTES AGO.
You are here: Home / Apple/Mac / BlackBerry Users Eye iPhone & Android
Do BlackBerry Users Have iPhone and Android Envy?
Do BlackBerry Users Have iPhone and Android Envy?
By Adam Dickter / CRM Daily Like this on Facebook Tweet this Link thison Linkedin Link this on Google Plus
PUBLISHED:
MARCH
16
2010
Research In Motion may find that many of its customers are in motion, a survey of more than 1,000 smartphone users suggests. Asked about their next smartphone purchase, 39 percent of 159 RIM BlackBerry users told Crowd Science, an online research firm, that they "definitely or probably" want an Apple iPhone.

Another 34 percent said they would prefer a phone that uses Google's Android operating system. Combined with 38 percent who said they might consider Android, that makes a 72 percent opening for Android, narrowly beating the 68 percent opening for the iPhone.

Open To Nexus One

Asked if they would switch from their present handset to Google's Nexus One, which debuted in January, 32 percent of BlackBerry users said they would, compared to just nine percent of iPhone users. The poll did not ask users about Palm or Windows Mobile phones.

"These results show that the restlessness of BlackBerry users with their current brand hasn't just been driven by the allure of iPhone," said John Martin, CEO of Crowd Science, in a blog post. "Rather, BlackBerry as a brand just isn't garnering the loyalty seen with other mobile operating systems."

The largest share of BlackBerry users, however, 49 percent, chose the category "other smartphone," which could include another BlackBerry. (Because participants were allowed multiple selections, totals for each device add up to more than 100 percent.)

No Status Quo Option

The poll did not allow BlackBerry users to directly express satisfaction with their current model, which led Current Analysis consumer-devices research expert Avi Greengart to question its reliability.

"The survey doesn't ask BlackBerry owners if they would buy another BlackBerry, so its results are meaningless," said Greengart. "If you ask 'Which of the following things would you buy' and not include 'What you already have,' you will get, by design, high responses for whatever you present as an option."

Still, Greengart said it's clear that RIM needs to revamp its user experience to compete with Apple, Google and Palm at a time when app-driven simple interfaces are driving the market. "RIM has done a terrific job of building its consumer brand and expanding out of the corporate market, but the competition has really intensified," he said.

iPhone users were the largest portion of respondents in the survey, at 189, 92 percent of whom said they would definitely or probably buy another iPhone.

Android users, who numbered 31 in responses, also demonstrated strong brand loyalty, with 87 percent saying they would buy another Android device.

In other smartphone news, Google on Tuesday announced the release of a Nexus One model that will be compatible with AT&T's mobile network, but it won't be sold subsidized in the carrier's retail stores. Customers will have to buy the unlocked version from Google for $529. The only subsidized version is available from T-Mobile for $179 with a two-year contract.

Tell Us What You Think
Comment:

Name:

Anonymous:
Posted: 2010-03-24 @ 11:56am PT
I completely agree. I have a BlackBerry and want an iPhone!

Anonymous:
Posted: 2010-03-17 @ 12:14pm PT
If either iPhone or Android could deliver an e-mail push service matching the ease of use and reliability of RIM, the switchover percentages would be significantly higher.

Like Us on FacebookFollow Us on Twitter
MORE IN APPLE/MAC
CRM DAILY
NEWSFACTOR NETWORK SITES
NEWSFACTOR SERVICES
© Copyright 2017 NewsFactor Network. All rights reserved. Member of Accuserve Ad Network.